Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Color Purple Alice Walker

So this happens to be one of my favorite movies. Whenever I need a good cry I watch The Color Purple. My favorite line is Oprah's "You tolds Harpos to beat me" speech. The book was also very moving though I didn't cry. Once you get around the speech, it is her journal. It is a moving read on the harshness dealt to African Americans after slavery both by the Whites and people of there own race. The part I find most heart wrenching is when Sophia is jailed and then forced to work for the mayors wife. They say she can visit for Christmas but she is there hardly 10 minutes before the mayor's wife makes her leave because she can't get the car to work right. It is a wonderful commentary on the harshness of life and the human spirits way of persevering. Warning it is very graphic and much was edited so the movie would not be R. For those faint of heart or looking for something a little cleaner but still uplifting try the movie or another book.

No comments:

Post a Comment