Sunday, August 24, 2014

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

So I am caught up on books already read. I happened to finish this one late last night. If you want to read along I just started Gone Girl.

Go check out, rent, buy borrow or steal this book right now, (Don't really steal that's bad). You need to stop what you are doing or reading and read this book. It is absolutely phenomenal and is such an incredible story. It is a true World War 2 story so yes it is sad, but this one isn't a holocaust story and doesn't take place in Europe, Yay. It is about Airman and Olympian Louis Zamperini and his struggle to survive as a castaway and prisoner of war in Japan. I don't know if any of you are in my boat but I had never heard much about the fighting in the pacific with Japan other than Pearl Harbor and the Dropping of the bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Apparently the Japanese were just about as bad as the Germans. While they didn't go after Jews (not a lot of Jews in Asia), they went after non Japanese. So pretty much they wanted to control and kill the rest of Asia focusing on Korea, China and the Philippians, if I understand correctly don't quote me. They also didn't follow the rules for having POWs, they didn't feed them properly, stole Red Cross rations, worked the officers and beat and tortured the prisoners. Also how inadequate our Air force was at first and how dangerous really surprised me. I guess growing up next to an Air force base clouded my judgement. This book is very well written and you learn a lot about the war and other people involved not just Louis Zamperini. Read it now before the movie is released in December. Read it now. Yes you read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment